Subject: Re: FLASH: Contracts
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:14:49 GMT

At 02:47 AM 2/28/00 , you wrote:

>After reading Colleen's experience I think the time has come to create a
>collection of contracts that, as web professionals, we should be able to
>draw on to make sure that our interests are sufficiently protected when we
>go to a client.
>
>I am willing to put up the webspace for this, and to administrate the entire
>microsite.
>
>Anyone want to join in ??
>
>Steve Minton

Hi Steve,

I proposed this about 2 years ago (see
http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/flashbiz) and would love to see it take off
under your or someone else's direction. Since laws vary within and between
countries, and since this would not be a legal service, you should probably
include a disclaimer saying that you are not dispensing legal advice and
that people should still consult an attorney. But there's a lot of useful
information to be shared. We should all be aware of the issues being raised
here today (in this thread) such as copyright, ownership of source files,
revision of copyrighted materials, etc. Much of this is already covered by
the Graphic Artists' Guild (http://www.gag.org), including sample
contract/letter of agreement.

I think it would be great to have a Flash-related site on this, including
all the Flash-specific elements that go into a good estimate form, plus
some sample contracts. It is also helpful to address the "softer" issues of
how to communicate with clients to minimize miscommunication and hard
feelings. Even when I do it all correctly and tactfully, I still find I can
occasionally use the supportive words of other professionals (thanks,
Dorian!) when things are not going smoothly with a particular client.

Marc

flasher is generously supported by...