Subject: Re: FLASH: filesize
From: Mary Brzys
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:33:41 GMT

Hi Gavin,

It sounds like its the jpegs that are making your movie extra large.
If at all possible, recreate your artwork as vectored artwork in
Flash. It cuts the size down and besides it will only load once, if
you use the same symbol (artwork) over and over again.

I did this with an animated 3D spinning globe, which was originally
all bitmapped (picts;quicktime). It took awhile to recreate it, but in
the long run it runs better and it looks better.

Mary Brzys
Flash Artist

---"WebFeat: Gavin Frayne" <gavinatwebfeat [dot] co [dot] za> wrote:

> hi all
>
> I've been working on this flash thingy and i've imported 280K of
jpegs. The
> movie is about 120 frames and I have deleted any unused symbols and
pretty
> much optimised the file as much as possible. The problem is that the
movie
> ends up at about 1.1 meg, which is completely out of the question.
It is a
> flashed version of a javascript image replace site. The original
site is
> about 300K and flash is supposed to reduce file size. Can any one
tell me
> why this file is so big (I think it might be because the jpegs are
faded in,
> but I need a second opinion). If you feel like waiting for a 1.1 meg
flash
> file, you can view it at:
>
> http://196.33.161.54/default1.asp?Flash=1
>
> Regards