Subject: Re: FLASH: Real- (Audio/Video) Flash
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:50:29 GMT

RealFlash simultaneaously streams your SWF file in sync with a RealAudio
file. There is no importing of RealAudio or video into Flash. What you do,
in general terms, is:

1) complete your movie, including the audio, in Flash

2) export the Flash movie as an SWF file with audio disabled so that you
have a SWF version of your movie with no audio

3) export the Flash movie again as an AVI (Quicktime on a Mac), setting the
movie size to be very small since this export is only for the audio

4) start the RealEncoder, aim it at your AVI, select the encoder you want
to use for the bandwidth you have available for audio (probably 6.8Kb/s for
audio intended for 28K modem, leaving around 13Kb/s for the SWF file to
stream), disable the video portion of the output, and then encode the file.
Now you have a RealAudio version of the movie with no video.

5) make a metafile that calls your SWF and your RealAudio file together.
The RealServer and RealFlash player keep them in sync.

BEWARE that interactivity has not been implemented in the RealFlash player
yet. So don't count on being able to have the viewer click buttons and such.

At 02:36 PM 1/25/99 +0100, you wrote:

>We are currently thinking over a project realized in Flash that will use
30sec of video
>and 3*30 sec. of audio. The best thing would be to use Real
(Video/Audio)-technology for
>that project. I have heard once about Realflash (Realnetworks &
Macromedia) but can´t find
>any information on this - so how can I import/use realaudio/video in Flash
(the server hosting this project already uses both technologies).

>Thanks for any hint, Frank

Dave Hollinden
Audio Engineer
Jet City Studios, Seattle
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)