Subject: Re: FLASH: filesize
From: Byron Canfield
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:10:53 GMT

As an experiment, you might try making just a small movie, two versions, and
for one of them, import the JPG. For the other, import a BMP or PNG file that
was the basis for the JPG, that is, before any lossy compression was done.
Then
export both to movies using the same JPG settings.

I think what you'll find is that the export will be smaller for those file on
which there was no lossy compression prior to import. It will do no good,
however, to open a JPG and save it as a BMP or PNG and them import that,
because once saved as a JPG, the damage is done -- you have to start with some
original with no loss occurring.

Your FLA file will be larger for the one where you import a BMP or a PNG file
because those files will be larger, so it's also a practical consideration to
keep an eye on the FLA file size to keep it under the magic 5 megabyte ceiling
(after which, SWF export and even editing is "iffy").