Subject: Re: FLASH: pitch shifting
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:11:54 GMT

Nope, what is happening is not pitch shifting per se. If you have a high
frequency sound and you try to export it at a low sampling frequency,
aliasing occurs. And aliased audio, as with aliasing in graphics, creates
undesired results, which in this case is a sound at the wrong pitch.

For your MouseOver sound, try exporting it at 22KHz and compressing it to 2
bits. If it sounds OK, then great. If not, up it to 3 bits, etc... Many
times a short, high-pitched, mechanical or techno sound will sound sharper
and more lively at 22KHz & 2 bits than it will at 11KHz and 4 bits even
though the file size is the same.

Dave

At 10:06 PM 1/25/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>>Well for the last week I've noticed that everytime I import a sound file
>>>into flash it puts a "bouncing click" into the sound. Has anyone else
>>>noticed this? It only seams to be on repetative sounds (Like Dial
>>>tones) but not voices and music. Any idea what's going wrong?
>>
>>I haven't noticed this "bouncing click" you mention but I have had problems
>>with pitch changes taking place in compression. I have one file in
>>particular that I've attempted to import into Flash for an onMouseover
>>event but when compressed it goes from a high pitch to a much lower pitch.
>>Very annoying. Anyone know of a way to avoid this "pitch shifting".
>

>The reason why this happens is normaly due to changes in the sample rate.
>If you have a 22hz wav file for example and then export this through flash
>and drop down the sample rate this can cause a slowing or speeding up
>effect (pitchshifting).

Dave Hollinden
Audio Engineer
Jet City Studios, Seattle
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)