Subject: Re: FLASH: filesize
From: Susie Hinchliffe
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:15:10 GMT

hi Gavin
when you say optimised as much as possible, i guess you've played around
with the settings by clicking on the images once you've got them into
Flash?: i just wonder as i've got them down by 100K by putting them onto
lossless, or JPEG quality of 50:-
how clear and sharp do they have to be? can you convert them to gifs and
possibly blur them a little? i know it's people but if you're subtle with
it: this tends to help.
any good?
susie

It is a
>>> flashed version of a javascript image replace site. The original
>>site is
>>> about 300K and flash is supposed to reduce file size. Can any one
>>tell me
>>> why this file is so big (I think it might be because the jpegs are
>>faded in,

ah, JPEGs can grow in size: have you looked at
http://www.users.bigpond.com/xtian/bitmaps.html (for further details):?

if for fading in you've tweened them, this can effect playback performance
(i don't think it effects file size), although i've done it on a couple of
things with alpha settings and it doesn't seem tooooo disastrous...(yet!)