Subject: Re: FLASH: calling swf src
From: Brad Bechtel
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:51:23 GMT

I understand that IE 4.5 browsers for Mac won't allow you to call a swf file into a window directly (without an HTML file).

That's not true, from my very limited testing of this feature. MSIE 4.5 for Macintosh doesn't come with Flash preconfigured, but it can be configured to view SWF files directly, either from your computer locally or from the web (i.e. either from file:// references or from http:// references).

By default, MSIE 4.5 for Macintosh tries to download an SWF file if referenced directly. You need to modify the Preferences to allow it to recognize the file and how to handle it.

1) Choose Edit > Preferences.
2) Under Receiving Files, choose File Helpers.
3) Click on the "Add" button to add the following information:

Representation:
Name: Flash 3 Player (or whatever you want to call it)
Extension: .swf
MIME type: application/x-shockwave-flash

File Type:
Application: Flash 3 (browse to where your copy of Flash 3 is located)
File Type: SWFL (from the list of file types Flash 3 recognizes)
File Creator: MFL2
Select "binary type" from the two radio buttons

Handling:
How to Handle: View with Plug-in
Plug-in name: Shockwave Flash NP-PPC (browse to where your Flash 3 plug-in is located)

4) Click on OK to continue.
5) If it doesn't work, reopen your preferences and make sure everything took. It took me two tries to get it to recognize that I wanted it to be viewed with the plugin, not downloaded. (That might have been me, though.)

=====
Brad Bechtel
Flash QA
------------------------------------------------------------------------ To UNSUBSCRIBE send: unsubscribe flasher in the body of an email to list-manageratshocker [dot] com. Problems to: owneratshocker [dot] com N.B. Email address must be the same as the one you used to subscribe. For info on digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratshocker [dot] com