Subject: Re: FLASH: [RESPONSE] Recent Flash Player Release
From: unique
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:12:17 GMT

At the exact moment of 2000.01.24.19.53, her/his local time, Eric J. Wittman
<emanatflash [dot] com> put forth:

> unique writes:

>> However, you leave unaddressed some serious concerns regarding this
>> defective player. Furthermore, I do not follow the logic behind the
>> security issue.
>
> According to many online security experts and sites, files/applications
> playing back from one domain should not be able to send or receive
> information from another domain without the users consent. Imagine a site
> where a user password/credit card/social security number, etc. is obtained
> on one page and sent to another domain. Or information behind a firewall
> is obtained and forwarded to another domain. According to the experts,
> this is a no no.
>
> A few online security resources we use as a part of our consulting process
> are: o http://securityfocus.com o http://packetstorm.securify.com
>
> Hope this provides a better understanding.
>
> A side note, in TechNote #14213 in the Macromedia Flash Support Center, we
> do provide the recommended process.

Thank you again, Eric! I appreciate that you took the time to address my
*minor* concern, the second of two that I referred to in the words of mine
that you included above.

It still seems to be a no-longer meaningful barn-door closing. But I
digress ...

Will you please remember to be so kind as to either reply to the remainder
of my concerns (regarding the 25/20 player), or direct me toward someone
else who will?

Sincerely,

Ken Sherwood

*zenkat: the Flash trailer*