Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash/Director Integration
From: Branden Hall
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 03:57:49 GMT

Agreed on that point... however...
Step by step is only part of learning...
If you want to be able to truely be creative with flash scripting you need
to know more than just how to build a few small things and paste them
together...
I can, and have taught many, many people how to use Flash's actionscript to
get a particular result... but what I tend to see people asking for more
often than not is the knowledge to be able to go all the way from problem to
solution on their own. I was told by one of my students that part of this
is my fault, he said I make it look too easy... which is perhaps the
case... However I have many years programming experience, especially in
limited languages such as actionscript... languages in which the all mighty
hack is still quite valuable...
I can, and do, teach technique all day long... how to do specific tasks...
even to some extent how to approach problems, and debug your code...
But, what many people fail to remember is that just like an artist, a
programmers skill is created over time. You can show me how to draw 2 point
perspecitives and the basics of shading in a two day course... and at the
end that is what I will know how to do... I won't be an artist.... I will
have the tools, but the critical ingredients are practice and time....

-= Branden J. Hall
-= Multimedia Developer/Instructor
-= Fig Leaf Software