Subject: Re: FLASH: Reality check re *Flash 4 Magic* file?
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:49:23 GMT

> Okay, that much I've reported before. Here's the kicker: I *cannot* reopen the
> saved file "preloadproject.fla" with only that 120 meg allocated to Flash! I
> only have to add minimal megs, but still, this makes no sense to me at all.
> Maybe I think too much.
Did you restart flash before you tried to open the file? Sometimes I even
have to reboot my computer, but then I'm on this ppc, that doesn't have
enough of anything to do what I'm trying to make the poor thing do. I'm
getting a G4 soon, really :)

> I'd also like to reiterate my other main question in this thread: On the
> Macintosh platform, is it true that in order to open a fla of size X meg, one
> must allocate something between 16X and 28X meg of RAM to Flash? I really need
> to know these stats in order to support submitting an order for sufficient RAM
> for my system at work.
Flash 4.0a has a suggested size of 14k (flash 4 suggested 10.5 - is that
really better memorry management, to suggest it needs more memory? ;) I
didn't really realize I was getting a whole new program when I got the
update either, but I did.) I have the size for 4.0a set to 40k (I had 4 set
to 32k) to get rid of the "Flash is low on memory, some frames may be drawn
as gray" messages. I seem to be getting these more often with the update,
but I haven't had any more crashes and refusals to reopen the file as of yet
either :) Admittedly I sometimes have huge movies (1.7 meg) because I've
imported bitmaps that are traced later, or things that I don't end up using
etc. (or a little sound :p) but even so, I'd ask for as much as I could get
away with getting :)

Laura Mollett

flasher is generously supported by...