Subject: Re: FLASH: Reality check re *Flash 4 Magic* file?
From: unique
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:10:49 GMT

At the exact moment of 2000.01.29.11.43, her/his local time, Laura Mollett
<lmollettatmindspring [dot] com> put forth:

>> Make sure you get one of the newer ones ... find out exactly what that
>> means (someone who "should" know told me that they've totally revamped
>> the G4 chip -- IBM is making it now, not Motorola any more).
>
> AFAIK, Apple signed a deal with IBM to allow them to help produce the
> chips, due to a fear that Motorola wouldn't be able to produce enough, but
> they should be the same chips and both companies continue to produce them.
> I hope this is true :) Anyway, that's what I heard several months ago.

Even one "month ago" is kinda old these days, nicht wahr? :-)

See http://www.appleinsider.com

>>> Flash 4.0a has a suggested size of 14k (flash 4 suggested 10.5 - is that
>>> really better memorry management, to suggest it needs more memory? ;)
>>
>> If it gives me a stabler Flash, I'll take it!
>
> well, it's not helping me much as I already had mine set at more than
> twice the recommended size :) It's just a recommendation for how much you
> need, doesn't do anything... and it's not enough.

Have you actually compared the allocation needs between 4 and 4.0a? So far
I've found the difference to be less than a 5% increase, not a big price to
pay.

>> It would still help me to know if the 16-28 : 1 ratio holds true. How
>> much memory do others need to have allocated to open a real big one? Real
>> stats would really help me here (Mac only).
>
> that sounds about right (I need 32 to 40 to work with an almost 2 (1.7)
> meg file (which is ridiculous) so half that for a 1 meg file). Be careful
> when getting these numbers though, as the file might well open with much
> less, but you'd have trouble working with it - crashes, or lots of out of
> memory type errors if you try to do something intensive (copy/paste frames
> is the one that gets me a lot) or just lock-up.

When Flash finds slightly less memory available than it wants, it opens, but it
gives me a message that something about MRJ (Generator-related) files not
regarding crashes and freezes and endless loops when it can't open a too-big
file ... Flash is clearly *not* handling too-large files properly.

HTH,

Ken Sherwood

*zenkat: the Flash trailer*
http://www.kensherwood.com/zenkat.htm