Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: good sound application for aiffs?
From: Frederico
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:58:27 GMT

On 1/31/00 11:29 AM, Sarah Lamont via slamontat2mtc [dot] com, said:

>I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good free/cheap sound clip
>manipulator for the mac?

Well, I've always had a soft spot for Digital Performer, but it hardly
fits your definition of free/cheap. (;

When I'm off doing demos, I find that QuickTime Movie Player is really
about all I need to clip sounds for use in Flash. Version 3.x is free,
and will allow exports to AIFF and WAV, as well as other formats. Version
4.x technically requires the QT Pro license, at $29.95.

This is yet another instance where multiple monitors comes in handy,
because, lacking the detailed timeline zooms in DP and other editors, you
can simply stretch the QT timeline across as far as you need to to gain
increased ability to snip at just the right milisecond.

You might also want to check out Coaster (free) and RayGun (cheap),
which, while intended for transferring LPs to CD-R, have a very nice
editing interface you can use to manipulate aiff's.

Others don't mind using the tools found in Toast and Jam for making
useable clips, especiallly if you already own them.

Sure wish Macromedia would update SoundEdit, it was a fine beginning.

A quick search at VersionTracker.com revealed several dozen sound apps,
you may wish to just explore yourself and see what you can find.

HTH

Frederico

~Apple *is* Design.~

-- Rob Burgess CEO Macromedia 5 January 2000

Think OS X -- Summer 2000

flasher is generously supported by...