Subject: Variables
From: Phil Matt
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:16:47 -0000

Gregg Caines wrote:

> You've got the syntax right for making the variable global (usable by
> all clips on the stage) by putting the /: in front of it.
>
> Your problem is that you set it to "1" (which is a string, with one
> character, which is a 1). Use trace("textstatus is" & /:textstatus)
> to verify that the value is in there.
>
> Next, in your if statement, put If (/:textstatus eq "1") ...
> You must test strings using 'eq'. Otherwise you can can set the
> variable to be 1, not "1", and use =

Gregg - thanks for your note. I eventually scoped out the problem
with the string vs. numerical expressions. I found it kinda strange
that typing in the = sign wouldn't automatically tell Flash that I was
intending an arithmetic operation. I figured out the problem by
trying a string and using the eq expression.

However, even though I can get the variables to work properly if I
assign strings to them, I STILL cannot get variables to work if I try to
use numeric values. I have checked and double-checked my
expressions, but it seems that Flash somehow doesn't recognize a
statement such as

Set variable /:whatever = 1

If I do a List Variables under Test Movie, and Output window shows:

Layer #0:
Variable _level0:whatever = "1"

I cannot get the 1 without the quotes around it regardless of how I
write the expression.

> I'd also recommend using Visible instead of Alpha, where visible is
> either true or false.

This was just for testing. Actually, depending on the state of the
variable is use, the roll over will just play a different frame of a MC
containing one text box per frame. This is being used for giving the
user contextually-sensitive info.

> Hopefully Flash 5 hasn't mangled my memory too much...

I have Flash 5, but am not planning to switch over until more users
have it installed.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers --- Phil
Phil Matt Photography