Subject: Re: [flasher] Re: 4 or 5?
From: Andrew Le Sage
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 05:14:24 -0000

What does your client mean by poorly? You make it sound like it all works in
Netscape just not as well, how can it not work as well, it can only be
slower and have pauses in it. I did notice the with I.E. 5 the preloader
went on for a long time, this says to me that this would be the same in
Netscape and you have provided a very large buffer. I have had this problem
with a fairly small F5 site with only 4 pages and 3 images and a scrolling
text box on each page. The client is a Guitarist and so there are 4 MP3
sample tracks but they are separate SWF files that load in and there is some
MP3 background music. He lives just over the road from me and uses the same
ISP. On my workstation which is a big dual processor thing with a gig of RAM
it downloads from the net and the preloader builds up a bit of a buffer and
then there is a small animation as an intro, it is not one of these long
ones there is no need for a skip intro button as by the time you decide to
skip it and hit the button the animation is over.
The client looked at it online on my workstation in I.E.5 and was very
impressed and very pleased. We then went over to his house and he wanted to
show his wife, so we logged on the net and accessed the site, the animation
was really poor and kept stopping and then moving a bit and then stopping
again. This was with some version of Netscape. Even when the whole SWF had
downloaded if we went back to the home page the same thing happened. The
only thing I could put it down to was that it was an old P100 with 28mb of
RAM and the hard drive was small and nearly full, it was running windows 95
but it was very slow. The PC only really gets used for e-mail and for the
kid to do home work and play the games that have filled the hard drive. I
had to assure him that most people would see it the we did at my place and
in the end he was happy. As far as I know he has not have any complaints
about is and his agent who was the person who insisted he have a site found
it Okay and these days he tells me he is getting quite a good number of
hits. I guess what I am saying is that there is something wrong with his
system or it simply needs a massive upgrade.