Subject: hitTest
From: Craig Paterson
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:01:30 -0000

Hi there all!

I'm currently working on a project in which I would like the detection of a
hitTest between two MC's (one called "line" the other "mc1") to trigger the
playing of frames in "mc1".

"mc1" has a stop in the first frame with static text.
Frame 2 has a label of "fadeIn" and a tween on the text.
Frame 11 has a stop action at the end of the tween.
Frame 12 has a label of "fadeOut" and a tween back to the original state of
the text.
Frame 21 has "gotoAndStop (1);"

The main timeline has only one frame.
Each item has it's own layer.
the MC "line" has the following script attached:-

// constrain mouse horizontally
onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
_root.line._x = _root._xmouse;
}
// determine if line hits mc1 and react accordingly
onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
hit = (_root.line.hitTest(_root.mc1));
if (hit) {
_root.mc1.gotoAndPlay ("fadeIn");
} else {
_root.mc1.gotoAndPlay ("fadeOut");
}
}

When the movie loads, "mc1" jumps to the stop action on frame 11 and doesn't
play the tween.
When "mc1" is hit by "line" it jumps back to frame 1 without playing the
tween.
When "mc1" is not hit by "line", "mc1" jumps to the stop action on frame 11
and doesn't play the tween.

I have tried using frame numbers instead of labels, and that makes no
difference either.
I really, really need those tweens to play properly.

I have posted the FLA if anyone would like to look at it and help me get my
head round this problem

http://www.visionthing.co.uk/hit.sit
http://www.visionthing.co.uk/hit.zip

Contact me off-list if you need to know more,

thanks in advance

Craig

--
Craig Paterson
Multimedia Developer

Vision Thing Design Consultants
67 Marionville Road
Edinburgh
EH7 6AJ
United Kingdom

t. 0131 659 2919
f. 0131 659 2917
i. 0131 652 2087
u. http://www.visionthing.co.uk
e. craigatvisionthing [dot] co [dot] uk (mailto:craigatvisionthing [dot] co [dot] uk)