Subject: Re: FLASH: F4 - Q? (John C.?)
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:53:09 +0100

Hi Marc,

> At 07:42 AM 7/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Note, body will not work with many email clients and subject won't work
> >with a few.
> I've been in the habit of using ?body and ?subject in my Flash email Get
> URLs. Also I use %20 for a space character. Do you know what the
> consequence will be for those email clients that do not handle this? That
> is, will just the text I've added be messed up, or will the entire email fail?
The only major problem is some people don't have any email client setup.

Otherwise the only problem is the unsupported features like the body or
even the subject in AOL browsers will not be used. As far as I know
there are no side effects except when no mail program is setup and then
a message box may come up stating that.

I assume you are using %20% and not %20, if not change to the correct
syntax.
However with Get either a space or %20% displays a + or %20% instead of
a space at times from Flash.

My method of placing variables in the URL instead of using Get does not
require converting spaces to URL encoding and seems to display spaces
correctly in the email all the time.

URL encoding is needed to send 'search' parameters in the URL when
sending data to a server (this can be done by setting MIME or by
applying URL encoding (such as %20% for spaces).