Subject: Re: FLASH: Animation Loading Question????
From: John Croteau
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:40:34 +0100

Hi Brett,

> I have seen the higher end sites designed in Flash incorporate a loading
> sequence in the beginning of the site.
Actually, this is not the sign of a high end site. It is a cheap way to
show your visitors they have to wait (but they do try to tell you how
long). The best sites stream. Better sites try to amuse or provide some
preliminary information while they have you wait. They don't let their
visitors ever fully know they are waiting.

> I have not been able to find any info
> about how to program this. I am interested in how the progression of data
> received is linked to the animation that tell the viewer how much data is
> loaded or loading. If any of you expert Flashers out there can help me out,
> please do. Thanks. Brett.

Flash4 - is easy to create highly accurate loading progress indicators:
Help > Samples > If Frame Is Loaded

Flash 3:

1) You can use JavaScript and FSCommand PercentLoaded for accurate
percentages.

2) You can calculate the amount of loading by frame and use a series of
if frame loaded routines to draw the segments of the graph.

3) You can fake it. Many sites do including almost all that say loading
interface etc.