Subject: (OT) RE: FLASH: Flash & Broadband
From: Bryan Rieger
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:19:31 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: owneratchinwag [dot] com [owneratchinwag [dot] com]On">mailto:owneratchinwag [dot] com]On Behalf Of
Michael@BTW
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2000 1:40 PM
To: flasheratchinwag [dot] com
Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash & Broadband

>Other stats (Forrester98) have 37% of internet connected homes using
>broadband by 2003.

I wouldn't doubt this - but that's still a couple of years off.
With some great content on the web - interest would rise and more people
would be more inclined to install higher bandwidth connections at home -
ADSL or cable. If some content was created that really offerred something
that wasn't possible with TV or film we would probably see a very sharp rise
in higher-bandwidth connected homes. Sort of the 'killer-app' for the
content industry...

>I have never seen _any_ stat saying that '70%' of people who could have it
>would not want it, in fact most of the stats I've seen say the reverse,
most
>people seem to want it as soon as they know its available. Where did you
get
>your stats from?

I don't remember the url - as it was a couple of months back.
The only reason I remember the stat at all is because it was very low and it
was by an organization that I actually 'trust'. I expected to see a 12-15%
current broadband user base at that time - with adoption over the next 12
months seeing figures rise to 25-35%.

Hey, if those figures are wrong - great! The sooner broadband connections
are adopted by a large percentage of the public the better.

Also, in talking with may 'broadband' portals - most of them are still
looking for 'narrowband' content over the next couple of years. With current
broadband adoption there is not a large enough market for 'high-end' (re:
production values, project scope, etc.) content to be economically feasible.
Most of the large broadband projects are 'proof-of-concept' works and are
not intended to produce a profit.

Factor in bandwidth, marketing, support, production costs and the returns
from staight ad revenue based on a small broadband install base, the bottom
line is quite paltry compared to that of lower bandwidth content.

?and on that note:
>See raw combat footage from the West/An Tir War!
>http://www.bigtimeweb.com/

Cool - Is this going to be an ongoing collection of movies from SCA events?
It would be great if there was a little background information about the
event, the battles,etc. that users could explore on their own via text,
images and small swf animations.
Looking forward to more of these.

Also, it tends to look kind of painful - nobody get's hurt at these do they?
;-)

Cheers,

Bryan