Subject: Re: (OT) RE: FLASH: Flash & Broadband
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:04:26 +0100

>With some great content on the web - interest would rise and more people
>would be more inclined to install higher bandwidth connections at home -
>ADSL or cable. If some content was created that really offerred something
>that wasn't possible with TV or film we would probably see a very sharp rise
>in higher-bandwidth connected homes. Sort of the 'killer-app' for the
>content industry...

FWIW, broadband already has its "killer-app". It's called music - ie. Napster.

Napster *does* motivate the public to upgrade their bandwidth. It's
a value perception thing. So leave Napster alone and let it do *its
thing*. The fast spread of high-bandwidth will benefit many
industries far beyond the music industry. In fact, most indstries.
And especially content providers like us Flash Developers.

Problem is, the music industry is so brain dead, and so behind, that
apparently they see opportunities as threats. RIAA needs to wake up.
They don't have enough lawyers to stop the internet and it's
fruitless to even try. If you can't beat them join them. Quit
crying, get busy, and give the audience a subscription web jukebox
for high-bandwith owners. I'll pay, so will most others. We're
honest people. How about a dime a tune, on demand. No downloads.
Just play-when-I-say. Singles too, of course - as that's what it's
all about. And bill me. Of course you need to have all the music
there. And, great search. ie. If I can hum it, you can find it.

/gotta go..

/w