Subject: Re: fw: Shock comes with Win98
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 21:22:48 +0100

At 7:14 AM 6/30/98, trotter wrote:
>Does anybody know of a viewer for a Solaris or SGI that supports Flash?
>Is there no way for Unix users to view Shockwave stuff?

There's no native-code playback engines from Macromedia for any of the
various flavors of UNIX, true. (Although I do understand that some in the
Open-SWF newsgroup have been working at developing SWF players for their
favorite platforms.)

However, any content developer can certainly include the ability to play
back in Java on their site. This holds true for both Flash and Director
work. The Macromedia Flash Java Player does not yet support all the new
features in the recent Flash 3 native-code plugins and control for Mac/Win,
but it's certainly easy enough to make a Java representation of a
rich-media piece for those on unusual platforms.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/
Luscious web graphics: http://www.macromedia.com/software/fireworks/