Subject: Re: FLASH: (Expanded) working with variables
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:52:48 +0100

At 8:39 AM 6/30/99, Jason Murray wrote:
>-- Button one --
>On (Release)
> Set Variable: button = "wall"
>

>-- Button two --
>On (Release)
> Set Variable: button = "frieghts"

I may be missing something here, but it looks like these are two different
variables, in two different movie clips, that just happen to have the same
name. Is this what you've actually got there?

If so, there was a parallel thread yesterday about variables and their
scope. A variable isn't globally available throughout the program... its
life is constrained to the timeline it's in. You can reach across from one
timeline to another, to have information available throughout all
timelines, by specifying the path as you would when targeting messages.

If this is the issue, then Chapter 10 of the Flash 4 manual can pay off...
I'm still regularly re-reading it myself, looking for new ways to
understand these abilities.

Is this along the lines of what you're working with there...?

jd