Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Barney's Underglass effect?
From: Lachlan mackinven
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 07:09:58 +0100

Hi Jeff
Sorry, I hope I didn't insult your intelligence by covering every little
step, I was on the road with nothing but email to take my mind off things
and wrote the whole process down to pass the time.
I didn't test the theory either and I believe your insights are a definite
improvement because if you put the layer masks over different layers in the
main movie you can lay it out much more easily seeing where the different
layers masks meet/overlap, etc. Also the file size may end up being smaller
with only one MC and lots of different Instances of it.
Cheers for enlightenment.
Lachlan

> Lachlan, thanks for the good mini-tutorial, but I was wondering why it
> would be necessary to create masks within each MC. It would seem that
> you could create an MC of the scrolling graphic as you described as
> instances slightly misaligned them on several layers, each layer governed
> separately by layer masks. By tinting the individual instances, you could
> get the effect, couldn't you, saving steps in the process?

> >layer.
> >
> >9 In the first Keyframe of the layer mask draw a filled rectangle which
> >spans at least the vertical height of the Guy/Girl picture. Horizontally
> >make it as wide as you want your pieces of glass [referring to Barneys]
> >For Example:If your image is 1100px wide Try making a mask that is mabey
> >50-100Px wide.
> >This mask shows the area of the scrolling Image that you will see when
you
> >place the MovieClip in your main Movie.
> >Add another keyframe to the mask layer at the same point as the second
> >keyframe of the Graphic layer.
> >
> >10. Now adjust the INSTANCE of the Graphic Image and tint it red [or you
can
> >adjust the INSTANCE of the movieclip when it is placed in your main
movie.]
> >If you do it now you will have to adjust the instance at both of you two
> >keyframes and make them the same otherwise it will tween your colours as
> >well.
> >
> >11 Now go back to your other MovieClip Duplicates and repeat from step 8
the
> >Masking process, making sure you mask the next movie clip so it roughly
> >matches up with the edge of where you masked the last Duplicate [roughly
> >matching is good, a little gap or overlap will give the refraction
effect]
> >Make sure you Duplicate enough Movieclip symbols to Cover the whole
screen.
> >Work your way accross.
> >
> >Finally
> >
> >12 Go EDIT>MOVIE and put you Movieclips in on different layers Line them
up
> >in the Movie so that they but up against each other. MODIFY>INSTANCE and
> >tint them shades of whatever and change Alpha channel [Transparency] for
> >each MovieClip if you havn't already done it to the Graphic within the
Clip.