Subject: Re: Smart Shockwave on Windows 95
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:41:51 GMT

At 5:17 AM 3/18/98, Ian Mantripp wrote:
>The docs indicate that the ActiveX controls should download
>automatically. Instead the browser opens a new window with the Shockwave
>download center. Is this an error in the docs, in the given script or
>should Explorer be configured in some specific way ?

I don't have that page of the documentation handy, but the default for
ActiveX Controls is to download invisibly in the background. This has the
sometimes-undesired consequence of presenting a blank space on the page for
minutes, suddenly popping up a "Hey, I've downloaded something for you! C'n
I install it, huh, can I, can I?"

(Or words to that effect. ;)

Smart Shockwave enhances the usual downloads by providing a bit of feedback
when the browser is adding multimedia extensions. Additionally, it will
extend auto-installation to Netscape 4 browsers. (It also makes it easier
to specify minimum versions.)

Note, though, that different browser brand/platform/version combos will
necessarily behave in slightly different ways. Smart Shockwave provides an
easier download automatically, although you can also provide the more
traditional download experiences if you wish.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette