Subject: Re: performance on various machines
From: Dave Smith
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:17:55 GMT

p.m wrote:

> Wayne,

> It really sucks having to design flash to a low powered audience. But
> sometimes you have no choice. Sooner or later the world will upgrade but
> right now, you got to deal with the 486's.

'scuse the interuption, but I must say that designing for 486 proccesors
is a waste of time using Flash unless the client demands his site be
designed for that
clientle.

The reason being that most clients that use Shockwave applications or
other
"Entertaining" plug-ins are directing their attention to the high end
user.

How many high end users you know still using a 486?

Some flash sites are designed to sell a product by giving the user an
experience he wont forget soon. This helps promote the product more
effectively, thus a better chance of selling the product.

Some design Flash sites to entertain, i.e. comics, movie propaganda,
etc.

The bottom line is if your designing for 486 users you shouldnt be using
vector animation plug-ins. Stick to small gifs and animated gifs, if any
graphics at all for those users.

If someone doesnt have the time or money to upgrade to at least a pent
chip
they:

1: Dont use their computer much.
2: usually not going to buy the product the persons promoting anyway,
3: wouldnt have the time to DL the plug-in.
4: Arent looking for Flashy animation on the web.

Dont waste your time on 486 users. Remember your promoting what everyone
on this lists wants as a standard and by limiting Flash's use to the few
486 user's that are left your slowing the process of all of our hard
work.

If a client wants a site designed for 486 processing use, dont sell them
Shockwave.
Sell them traditional HTML application

Vector animation is not the end all and be all, but it can be!<g>

Good luck,

If any cat in here thinks this dude has given my man false information,
please speak up boy!

-DG-

The statements above are the sole opinion of the author of this post and
are not neccessarily the viewpoints of my employer,....wait a
minute,...I am my employer. Never mind.