Subject: IMPORTANT CORRECTION re: Local SWF files and MSIE Macintosh.
From: Brad Bechtel
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:50:27 GMT

Apparently after further testing I was incorrect.

Microsoft Internet Explorer does NOT allow you to view a Flash SWF file from a local drive unless you go through the Personal Web Server software provided by Microsoft Internet Explorer.

In other words, if you try to access as local file as follows:

file:///My Hard Drive/My Flash Files/MyFile.SWF

You'll continue to get the broken icon and warning that you need to get the plugin.

If , however, you have installed and configured Personal Web Server so your Published Folder is (in this example) "My Hard Drive:My Flash Files", then you can access and view the SWF file correctly using the URL:

http://localhost/MyFile.SWF

Adding to the embarassment, I didn't catch a further problem - MSIE doesn't keep the settings described earlier. When you exit and restart, instead of the "How To Handle" setting as "View with Plug-In", MSIE has changed the setting to "Save To Disk".

Suggestion: Use Netscape Navigator, which works properly, or go through the hassle of configuring a local web server and viewing using the http://localhost URL. My apologies to you who have been misled by my previous message.