Subject: Flash wishes...
From: Christian Cook
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:44:05 GMT

JD wrote:

(Even if the goal cannot be achieved today, it would be useful for folks
here to know what types of things clients are wanting from designers
that can't yet be done, thanks.)

Did an intranet site for the financial group Doughty Hanson & Co and we
were attempting to get Excel sheets into the browser. When we saved as
HTML from Excel, it looked horrific (Much like a squirrel that's been
dragged through a traffic wardens arse backwards - don't visualize.
Leave it conceptual.) Anyway, annoyingly enough we discovered that
embedded linked Excel sheets would update live in Flash during authoring
mode but not in plugin mode as it seemed to convert it to a bitmap or
something. I know its probably a security issue but it would be nice to
have embedded linked Excel/Word type stuff that updates live from
external files in the plugin environment (Great for intranets).

Also- In Netscape, if you click on an HTML hotlink that links to an
.exe, you get a save or open option (just the same in IE) but in
Shockwave Flash, a URL to an .exe will only give the save option
(Netscape only). In IE it still gives an open option too so we had to
persuade the clients to go all IE (which was a shame because using
Microsoft products is often like being sellotaped to a squirrel that's
about to be dra..enough said)

So anyhow, if these two things could be sorted put or explained then I'd
be happy as a squirrel that actually enjoys it.

Someone else entirely.