Subject: FLASH: A Training Piece
From: Rick Koch
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:33:43 +0100

Hi All,

I have what I think could be the basis for very helpful tutorial.

I wanted a simple menu of several vertically aligned subject buttons.
You click on a subject button and the remaining buttons below it "slide"
downward - or "open up" - to reveal the sub choices under the selected
button. If you choose a different button, the menu "closes back up" and
the new button's sub choices are similarly revealed. It's a pretty
simple concept.

Being a designer (and programming challenged), however, I approached it
as many designers do - manually! trying to account for any and all
selection possibilities. Now, with only four buttons, that's not a
terribly overwhelming task. But even so, each instance of the same
button needed different actions depending on where it appeared in the
process. I quickly realized that a more likely number of, say ten
buttons, would become a nightmare. And finally, the idea of having the
menu "close up" before it "opened up" a new selection, I decided would
be nearly impossible to do manually - at least in any reasonable amount
of time.

So, here's my proposal. I'm guessing (hoping, actually) that this menu
idea is a good one for seeing how actionscript can accomplish the same
thing, easier and with less brain damage while teaching some things
along the way. If some of the actionscript gurus on this list would have
the time to take this .fla and "duplicate it" showing all of us the
"scripted way" to accomplish the same thing - that could be a very
helpful thing!

I suspect that setting variables and changing symbols' Y positions, etc
etc. would come into play. If anyone tries to manually account for the
"closing up" of buttons on the MC's timeline, I think they'll quickly
see what I mean about being impossible. Scripting, I would think, could
easily handle it.

Anyway, I, for one, would love to see the before and after of an
everyday type of project like this. It would sure help those of us still
struggling with actionscript to see how scripting would accomplish these
types of tasks.

You can see what I'm talking about and grab the .fla here:

http://www.denverFlash.com/fla/menutrainer.html

Thanks everyone!

Rick.

flasher is generously supported by...