Subject: Re: Aftershock/Java
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 23:55:27 +0100

At 8:11 AM 5/28/98, Marcantonio Magnarapa wrote:
> I'm using Aftershock 2.0 from the standard Flash 3 trial distribution.
>While the gif is correctly generated, the java version does not work. It
>just says "applet started" and nothing happens (the standard grey box is
>displayed, and then the java area turns white).
> Why is that? This happens with all .swf files I have.

Your first step would be to see whether that browser can play the
known-to-be-good Flash/Java files on the Macromedia website normally.

If not, then you'd know that there's something with that browser and Java
that should be checked, whether an old VM or insufficient memory or
security settings or such.

If the known-to-be-good sites play but yours do not, you'd then try to play
a simple test movie from your site. This would let you tell whether the
current complex content is a variable, or whether you should look more
closely to your upload process, the paths, etc.

Just on a wild hunch, the most frequent cause I've seen for Java problems
lately is when trying to have the Java player play a 3.0-style SWF file.
The ReadMe file contains more information about this.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/
Luscious web graphics: http://www.macromedia.com/software/fireworks/