Subject: Re: FLASH: Just Back From UCON 99
From: Robert Koberg
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 08:13:09 +0100

> Hope y'all are up on your scripting and CGI. This is gonna be awesome (As
> long as the MIS types don't start perverting flash and doing terrible GUIs
> and abusing it).

Opening up flash will not take anything away from the "artists". It will
allow more access for people who understand how to make cool things happen.
And it will finally make it a viable corporate solution, not just something
that makes really cool brochures. Forms and variables, get and post of net
data - I am in heaven.

After getting info from the subject matter expert, the artist can still
design the same way they do now, and then hand it off to (or more likely,
work concurrently with) a programmer. In fact, it will allow the artist to
simply create and not even access their left brain. Isn't this better? The
artist does not need to worry about mime types or checking for a
plugin/activeX (these two alone will cut list traffic in half - now if we
can just get rid of all the OT posts...) or hooking up to a database for
text/graphics/audio changes.

And then there is the open file format. Pretty soon you will be designing
GUIs for toasters and microwaves. Did you see them Flash demo on the Palm
Pilot? It ain't pretty, but who cares it works and it will only get better.
The possibilities are expanding exponentially.

on another note:
I really don't see much need for Generator anymore. What is the plan for
Generator? What does Generator bring to the table that can't be done with
other server side stuff?

> I was at UCON and was constantly amazed by the number of people I talked
> who were sent by the "Boss" to learn about Flash so they could come back
and
> make a cool site. The majority were very techie MIS types and a few
others
> worked exclusively in the print industry until now. A little scary. Any
> thoughts?

How long have you been in this business (rhetorical) - In other words,
everyone had to start sometime and this is a VERY young industry.

RobK