Subject: FLASH: Professional behavior? RE: FLASH: Alcatraz site
From: Tirah
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:13:51 +0100

Hmm.

I don't know about South Africa, but here in Seattle, home of
Microsoft et al, and one of the most wired cities in the world,
the high tech community is quite small in that everybody knows
everybody else, and people keep running into their pasts in all
kinds of situations. (been there, done that, you could say... :)

Rant and rail against the list all you want, but I can say for
damned sure that if I had an attitude like that, and sprinkled
it so liberally with phuck, peeps, and whatever else, I'd be
out of work before the next time it rained here.

I certainly wouldn't assume that there aren't any prospective
employers or people with connections to prospective employers
on the list. And I sure as heck wouldn't want those prospective
sources of income to see me behaving like this either.

Talent (perceived or otherwise) isn't the only thing that follows
people around, and certainly isn't the only thing employers look
for. Employers also look for people who can cooperate with others
and take criticism in stride. Most places here come to their finalized
design with some sort of input and concensus from the team and the
client. And that includes criticism.

Last I checked, HR people (you know, those folks who do the actual
hiring...) tend not to have Flash URLs either.

I can't imagine talking to people this way and expecting them to
stay in the room for a long enough time to work out a Flash contract
with me. :p And being reasonably polite and circumspect has been
a very good thing indeed in this town. It may well be that others
will simply have to learn that the hard way, wherever they are.

Flame away if it pleases you. You're already in my kill-file. This
mail is for the benefit of anyone else who found it useful.

Tirah