Subject: Re: FLASH: To Scene or not to Scene
From: Design Mine / Eric Hassler & Lori Greer
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:26:55 +0100

Oh no! I've been building my first Flash site and have made extensive use
of scenes. Due to the linear nature of Flash I thought it would be easier
to organize my work into short scenes, rather than one looonngggg one. Now
i'm hearing that this was a bad idea. Crap. :(

A few newbie questions:
1.Does a movie with multiple scenes make a larger .swf than a movie with
just one long scene?

2.I have a jpeg background that appears in all scenes. It about 12k. If I
have animation occuring over this jpeg in my various scenes, will this jpeg
have to be re-loaded, re-drawn (whatever) for each scene, or is it only
loaded into memory once?

I have a few other questions, but I'll get to 'em later.

thanks in advance...
Eric

>and on and on.....
>
>Commandment 3 thou shall not create a movie with scenes for the fear of naming
>objects or layers the same name, there by creating a tremendously screwed up
>movie that's waaaaay too large to begin with besides what thou has stated
>already. humn thee is really confused now!
>
>Mary Brzys
>
>suzyatgraphicsagogo [dot] com wrote:
>
>> >Can someone please give me the pros and cons of using scenes in a Flash
>> >movie? I recall some posts to this list a while back talking about the
>> >disadvantages of scenes.
>> >

>> scenes? did someone mention scenes? god, i've been dying for a good
>>thread!
>>
>> hmmmm. perhaps i could borrow a stone tablet from john croteau.
>>
>> commandment 1: thou shalt use scenes to your heart's if you've got a
>> linear navigation movie (buttons advance the user from one scene to another
>> scene).
>>
>> commandment 2: thou shalt not combine scenes with a lethal tell target,
>> lest ye suffer the consequences (dire frustration, the pulling out of one's
>> hair).
>>
>> *or* if you want to continue the shakespearean theme here, you could
>> possibly compare the relationship between tell target and scenes to the
>> montegues and the capulets.
>>
>> this is a serious list, here, y'know.
>>
>> suzy
>>
>> s u z y
>>
>> "fuck art, let's dance!"
>> http://www.graphicsagogo.com

>> For info on digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratshocker [dot] com
>
>--
>http://www.brzys.com
>Intelligence will get you so far,
>creativity will take you everywhere.