Subject: Re: FLASH: drag movie clip questions
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 02:17:23 +0100

Cheri Harder wrote:

> Hi, Helen.
>
> I usually put the button inside the mc I'm dragging, then the target can
> just be blank. (In fact, usually I make the graphic, F8 it to make it a
> button, then F8 it again to make it a MC) As for the drop action....it looks
> fine to me, am unsure what is happening. I just tried it in fact & copied
> your code into my button & it dropped on release. Weird! If you want me to
> look at it, feel free to shoot me a copy!

Thanks, Cheri. I must've been looking at this too much today--none of
it is making sense to me now, and it was all working so well earlier
this afternoon. Back to a more basic question: how is a movie clip
dragged? I did it earlier by putting a movieclip on one layer, an
invisible button of the same (large) size on the layer above it, and
assigning the drag/stopdrag commands to the button (onPress/onRelease).
It worked, but I don't see how now. Does the invisible button
automatically stay over the mc as it drags (it must, or it wouldn't
work, right?) It would make more sense if the button were inside the
mc, as you suggested, but I didn't do that--is that the "standard" way
to drag a mc? I tried converting the button to a mc, as you suggested,
but then there are no onPress/OnRelease conditions to attach the drag
actions to. What I really want to do is to drag a mc up and down from a
control next to it, so I was going to use a mc-and-button as my control
and then write actionscript to have the other mc follow the control mc.
Is there an easier way to do this? Maybe I should do something else and
come back to this tomorrow... Thanks to you and Tim for your help and
suggestions thus far. (I tried adding release outside, Tim, and then it
went really wacky--the whole movie followed the mouse when I let up... I
really must be missing something basic).

Regards,
Helen
helen triolo · http://i-technica.com
designerati-technica [dot] com · 301-424-6037

flasher is generously supported by...