Subject: Re: FLASH: drag movie clip questions
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 02:36:50 +0100

The "drag" action can be assigned as a frame action OR a button action and
you specify the "target" as the instance name of the mc you want to drag.
The reason we usually use a button is because we want to start dragging by
pressing on the thing we want to drag, and stop dragging upon release of the
mouse. The only things in Flash that can capture those two actions are
buttons. The reason we usually put the button within the mc we want to drag
is because of the release action....AH HA I just realized why yours keeps
moving!! You have the Stop Drag action on the release of the button, but
you aren't usually over the button any more, when you release! because the
button is NOT following the mouse in your case and you're dragging the movie
clip around! Anyway, back to my more subdued tone, where was I? Oh, the
thing that lost you, I think, is you are thinking that you are dragging the
button, and unless the button is inside your movie clip, you are not
dragging the button, but only the mc that you specified in your target.

Now, when you put the button inside the mc and double click on the mc you
won't see the button actions "yet" because you are editing the mc at that
point. Click the pencil to edit the mc, and then double click on the item
again...this time you should be double-clicking the actual button & should
see the action tab. I hope I didn't lose you, sounds like you're on
over-drive this evening.

Oh, and I do think you can drag your movie clip all at once without
actionscript, but I won't go there yet.

:-)

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution
www.awsolution.com

too much today--none of
> it is making sense to me now, and it was all working so well earlier
> this afternoon. Back to a more basic question: how is a movie clip
> dragged? I did it earlier by putting a movieclip on one layer, an
> invisible button of the same (large) size on the layer above it, and
> assigning the drag/stopdrag commands to the button (onPress/onRelease).
> It worked, but I don't see how now. Does the invisible button
> automatically stay over the mc as it drags (it must, or it wouldn't
> work, right?) It would make more sense if the button were inside the
> mc, as you suggested, but I didn't do that--is that the "standard" way
> to drag a mc? I tried converting the button to a mc, as you suggested,
> but then there are no onPress/OnRelease conditions to attach the drag
> actions to. What I really want to do is to drag a mc up and down from a
> control next to it, so I was going to use a mc-and-button as my control
> and then write actionscript to have the other mc follow the control mc.
> Is there an easier way to do this? Maybe I should do something else and
> come back to this tomorrow... Thanks to you and Tim for your help and
> suggestions thus far. (I tried adding release outside, Tim, and then it
> went really wacky--the whole movie followed the mouse when I let up... I
> really must be missing something basic).

flasher is generously supported by...