Subject: FLASH: Forms : Load and Save variables
From: p-h
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:48:26 +0100

Hello !

I have to develop a website for a company selling and bying objects
(currencies, gold coins and bars, etc.). Due to the nature of the business,
prices are often changing so the published pricelist has to be easily and
rapidly updatable by the client.

The (under development) site is located at http://www.spring.be/eurogold
And, sorry, only the french part of the site is active yet...
You can get a faily good idea of my objective by having a quick look at a
typical page, clicking on the following links (starting from the homepage) :
français > Change - Europe > cours du jour

(note : I know the typeface of the scrolling text isn't right, it will be
changed soon ! :o)))

I know there are numerous path to solving this using CGI, databases and HTML
forms - but unfortunately my (meager) skills are not that sophisticated ! On
the other hand, I have been using Flash for a few months (do I need to add
that I really LIKE it ? ;o) and have used the "load variable" feature on
several projects.

I think it would not be too difficult to use MC's to display the prices
loaded from a text file, and a first approach to change the values would be
by merely hand-editing the text file(s) holding the variables.

But it wouldn't be too user-friendly, with something like :

currency1_buy=value1
&currency1_sell=value2
&currency2_buy=value3
.etc...

So I wish to use a non-public password-protected HTML page, with a flash
form that will :
1° open the current version of the textfile holding the variables and
2° display them in relevant fields;
3° have those fields editable - so the client types in the necessary
changes;
4° SAVE THE UPDATED VERSION OF THE TEXTFILE;
5° UPLOAD IT BACK TO THE SERVER, IN THE APPROPRIATE LOCATION.

I know how to handle points 1°, 2° and 3°;
I wonder how to implement points 4° and 5°

Any hints, clues, pointers to examples, etc. are most welcome. I already had
a look at the most common repository (those I know of anyway) and didn't
find a solution. I'll get back there once more in case I overlooked
something useful.

Many thanks in advance (and thanks again to all those who already helped
me - and many many others - in the past)

Pierre-Henri Steyt
SPRING Grafik Design
Avenue des Cerisiers, 26
B - 1030 Brussels - BELGIUM