Subject: RE: FLASH: looking for Flash article for Director users
From: Mark Zukiwsky
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 19:31:32 +0100

>I familiar with Director and am confident working in its environment.
>I really want to get into Flash, and I've been caught up with other
>obligations like school and work. I'm wondering -- is there an article
>out there that describes Flash from the perspective of a Director
>user, explaining and comparing the features in Flash with/to their
>counterparts in Director?
>
>Any other pointers for coming to Flash with a Director mindset?

While I can't recall any thing that relates to the above, you may
want to check out the Director Online User Group (DOUG). You can DOUG
at:

http://www.director-online.com

Just do a search for Flash and you'll find a few articles. The
articles deal mainly on how to integrate Flash within Director. You
may be able to find something in the articles to help you understand
Flash better.

As far getting into Flash, if you a simple Shockwave or Director
project that you can "convert" to Flash format that my be the ticket.
That's how I learned Flash. If you have your application logic down
already, it's easier to migrate that logic to Flash than start from
scratch in Flash. By application logic, I mean the application you're
building with Director, not Director itself. Start with something
simple and work from there.

If you have some sort of middle-ware like ASP, ColdFusion, PHP, or
other CGI, you can pass a lot of the complicated logic on the the
middle-ware for processing, but that's maybe getting a ahead of
ourselves at this point. But the important thing to realize is that
if Flash can't process your variables or data using actionScripts,
you can all use http POST and GET methods to easily pass those
variables or data to a CGI for more processing power.

I was "forced" to switch to Flash because the company I was working
for would not install Shockwave on their machines but were willing to
install Flash. So, I had "port" my application over to Flash. It was
actually a good way to learn Flash for me. I knew what I wanted to
build, I just had to learn how to wield a new hammer.

Mark Zukiwsky
Edmonton, Canada

flasher is generously supported by...