Subject: Re: FLASH: Call external text
From: FlashDiva
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 06:12:07 +0100

Dave -

Load variables from location is what you are looking for. From there all
you do is put in the url of the text file (which has to be url encoded) and
where you want to target. I would guess you are just starting to do this
and probably are not using separate mc's to do this so you will most likely
load vars to your main timeline (leave it blank or put a /).

The other thing you will want to do is put in a variable that makes sure all
your other variables are loaded. Probably sounds a little confusing but it
isn't really and it makes sure that Flash doesn't move on with out your
variables. Basically you will want to do something like this.

Before you make your load vars call do a set variable "load"=0
Inside your text file you will want to put &load=1
Back to the flash file: do a three frame loop the first being load vars
from the second frame will be a frame labeled wait (for example) the third
frame get a little harder.

If load = 1
Go to and play (blah) (example only here this could be any place
you wanted it to go, obviously)
else
Go to and play "wait"

This is a basic loop once the text file is loaded your variable load becomes
1 and it does whatever you want it to once the vars are there.

Just a small tip that took me too long to get in the habit of doing.