Subject: Re: FLASH: Barneys.com
From: Michael Dunn
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:08:07 +0100

on 5/31/00 8.07a, ryan wrote:

> I think were missing the point here. This site is branding more than
> anything else, If you want an easy shopping experience go to gap.com, if You
> want to be apart of something more sophisticated, and special, enjoy
> wandering around barneys.com, I found the site very sticky, granted I was
> not looking to purchase anything, just look around. Like it says at the top
> of the page, "immerse youself in our world" That's the point of the site,
> not to sell a $300 sweater. And I think it succeeds.

Maybe this would work for something like MTV, but for a client like Barney¹s
you'd expect something a little more upscale not whiz-bang neat-o with
effects that are going to be popping up everywhere in the next few months. I
don't think the kind of world they want you to get immersed in is one of
frustrating popups and twitchy navigation (not to mention frenetic
animations that make it difficult to focus in the text). I think the world
they want to immerse you in (and even using the word "immerse" as opposed to
"lose" or "get sucked into") is one of luxury and convenience. The design
and navigation are far from that.

Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. They may be
going for the hip audience with disposable income. You never know. Since i
work for an ad agency as opposed to a web-house, I may be out of touch, but
I think they are just the latest victims of the "whiz-bang
look-what-I-can-do bandwagon."

my 2 cents (and change)

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com