Subject: Re: FLASH: MACROMEDIA ANNOUNCES FLASH PLAYER FOR LINUX
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 23:35:28 +0000 (GMT)

At 4:19 PM 11/24/98, Nigel Randsley-Pena wrote:
> Downloaded it and tested it on my current Linux setup :
> Redhat 5.2 Extreme. It works !
> So I guess we'd better start changing those detection scripts

Good point... this has already come up in the conversation at
http://www.slashdot.org/ on the topic.

If your site checks for specific browsers, rather than specific
capabilities, then it would be good to add Linux to the list of possible
environments. It's *possible* to automatically route these people
elsewhere, but then you'd be opening yourself to email.... ;)

Rephrased, if your site page has a "If you can't see the animation then you
don't have Flash" advisory, rather than a JavaScript platform-detection
routine, then this may make it easier for audience members on Linux boxes
to enter, thanks.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Dreamweaver owners' 2.0 sneakpeek: http://www.dreamweaver.com/