Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash - kid's stuff
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:24:24 +0000 (GMT)

At 11:05 PM 11/26/98 +0100, you wrote:

>> Marc (and all the others),
>
> Sorry about the VCF. It rather slipped by me. Here's the link. And HAppy
> Thanksgiving to you.
>
> Jason
>
> <http://www.wawakwala.com>http://www.wawakwala.com - English version
> http://www.wawaquoila.com - Version francaise

Hi Jason.

I like the characters and a lot of the movement, such as how the shells
dropped
down from above. When I got to the beach scene I expected more interactivity;
you could easily create some movie clips in place of static images, and have
them play on mouseover. Generally I think there needs to be more
interactivity
(kids have very short attention spans). Also you could avoid most or all of
your delays by not loading new HTML pages for every scenario. Instead, copy
those movies into movie clips, have them load as soon as possible, but have
each one begin with a parked, empty frame. Or, use LoadMovie to load them on
higher levels, also using an invisible, parked first frame. Then use
TellTarget to play each one, instead of loading it on a new page. I think
you'll find it quite gratifying to see how fast all this can happen. My
Poison
Dart Frog Music site uses stacked movies in this way; if I were doing it
again,
I'd probably use movie clips instead. But see http://www.jps.net/dartfrog for
an example of a whole lot of content that doesn't make people wait and doesn't
have to say "loading." I don't think kids (or most adults) know what
is and you could just as easily have a low-filesize, amusing character
animation running instead of text. Also have a look at Jim Curry's stuff
for an
example of well-designed loading and a whole lot of amusing, interactive stuff
going on: http://home.twcny.rr.com/jcurry/fsopen.html

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>