Subject: Re: FLASH: autoinstall flash3-plugin
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:54:01 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Jens,

> till now i use only the TO-version of flash3 to test it's possibilities.
> now i'd done my first small testmovie.
> i use the transparency of the alpha channel, so i can only export
> this movie with flash3.
> if i want to publish this with aftershock in a html-file, aftershock only
> implements the scrips to download flash2 (for example i still use
> netscape 4.05. this browser has no flash-plugin yet.
> the script created by aftershock only install flash2, so i've no chance
> to see anything.
First you should be using Aftershock 2 if not upgrade to it (It is
free).
Second Macromedia does not supply Flash 2 plugins or ActiveX controls
only the latest Flash 3 versions which are also compatible with Flash 2.

In Aftershock the Flash 3 plugin is detected by the line :
if (navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash"])
The ActviveX Control (MSIE 3/4 Win 95/98/NT) is determined by
cab#version=3,0,0,0

If you don't have a Flash 3 plugin or ActiveX control as determined by
the above lines the visitor will not be directed to Flash 3 content.
There are special problems for Windows 98 which may need to be editted
manually.

There is a lot of information on Aftershock at:
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Detect/Aftershock.htm

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/