Subject: RE: FLASH: my first flash....(it is slowly demystifying)
From: Len Harrison
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:07:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hi David,

My, such drama for a welcome message!

Anyway, here's a quickie on creating movie clips (nothing to it, really).
1) Let's do one from scratch. With nothing selected choose insert...Create
Symbol or press F8. You will now see a dialog asking for a name for this
symbol which defaults to "symbolN" and below that a set of radio buttons
specifying the kind of symbol you want to create. Choose movie clip and you
will find yourself in symbol edit mode. Do whatever you normally would do
here, adding keyframes and layers as needed. When finished, click on the up
arrow at the right side of the screen where the symbols in your movie are
listed and you will return to editing the main timeline. Click on
Window..Library and you will find your movie clip among the available
symbols. Drag it onto the timeline and then give it an instance name through
the Modify..Instance dialog if you want to be able to telltarget and control
its actions along the way. That's it.
2) Let's convert an animation sequence to a movie clip. Beginning with the
first frame of the animation you want to convert to a clip, select all
layers across all the frames you want using your mouse in the timeline
window. Select Edit..Copy Frames from the menu. Unselect everything. Press
F8 or select Insert..Create Symbol from the menu. Make the symbol a movie
clip. When you are in the symbol editor, select the first frame, and then
Edit..Paste Frames: voila.

Note that it is frequently useful to insert a single empty frame at the
front of a movie clip with the instruction "stop" attached to it. This
prevents the clip from running automatically when the frame that loads it is
reached. You then need to telltarget..instance name of movie clip and tell
it to play where you want it to. If you want it to play once, make the last
frame of the clip go back to frame 1.

hth,

len harrison
instructional designer