Subject: Re: FLASH: scripting motion redux
From: Catherine Kunicki
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:05:46 GMT

Thanks Helen : )

A lissajous curve is basically a circle script that gets factored and makes
figure eights ( or multiples of figure eights) and some other closed loopy
shapes. Let me get this thing cooking and then I will gladly pass along
whatever works : )

Thanks for your scripts in text too - I was going to make screen dumps then
transcribe em.

Catherine

> From: Helen Triolo <designerati-technica [dot] com>
> Subject: Re: FLASH: scripting motion redux
>
> Hi Catherine. Those bubbles, and most things that require continuous
> display of something that's changing over time, are done with a
> movieclip that has an onClipEvent(enterFrame) routine attached to it.
> In Flash 5, unlike Flash 4, the movieclip itself can be any number of
> frames, even 1, and it will loop continuously as long as it's on stage
> and controlled by an onClipEvent(enterFrame) routine. So you just
> create your movieclip, drag it onto the stage in the frame you want it
> in, select it and type your code into the Object Actions tab. (In Flash
> 4, you put the code into the movieclip itself, but in Flash 5, the code
> resides in the Object Actions for the instance of the movieclip, if that
> makes sense).
>
> The bubblemaker uses two movieclips: bubbleclip, which just has 1 frame
> with a bubble graphic, and bubblemaker, which has a masked copy of
> bubbleclip -- also only 1 frame. Once bubblemaker has been dragged to
> the stage, this code goes into the Object Actions tab to make randomly
> floating up bubbles that get deleted when they reach a certain y
> position. The complications are all in generating the randomness --
> moving the bubbles isn't hard at all (it's just changing the y position
> every time the routine is executed).
>
> onClipEvent (load) {
> nTimeCount = 71;
> nBubbleCount = 0;
> }
> onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
> if (nTimeCount > 70) {
> duplicateMovieClip (mcBubbleClip, "mcBubbleClip" + ++nBubbleCount,
> nBubbleCount);
> // bubbles start in random place between x=0 and x=200
> this["mcBubbleClip"+nBubbleCount]._x = math.random()*200;
> // bubble size is between 30 and 100% of symbol size
> nBubbleSize = 30+math.random()*70;
> this["mcBubbleClip"+nBubbleCount]._xscale = nBubbleSize;
> this["mcBubbleClip"+nBubbleCount]._yscale = nBubbleSize;
> this["mcBubbleClip"+nBubbleCount]._y = 330;
> // make new bubble between every 40 and 60 frames
> nTimeCount = math.random()*20;
> }
> nTimeCount++;
> // delete bubbles at top and
> // move all remaining clips up one pixel per frame
> for (i=1; i<=nBubbleCount; i++) {
> if (this["mcBubbleClip"+i]._y < -20) {
> removeMovieClip("mcBubbleClip"+i);
> } else {
> this["mcBubbleClip"+i]._y -= 1;
> }
> }
> }
>
> So in your case, you'd put the code that moves a clip along a lissajous
> curve into the onClipEvent(enterFrame) routine, and it would display
> continuously. I don't know what a lissajous curve is, but it sounds
> interesting -- if you'd care to post or send me the code for it, I'd be
> [...]

Register before November 10 and save £200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com