Subject: Re: FLASH: CGI and standalone (WAS: guestbook in a standaloneflash .exe?)
From: Andries van der Leij
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:41:26 GMT

Hi Jennifer

That's what i thought to, but it isn't true: check this example from the
flashjester site out:

<http://www.flashjester.com/software/jugglor/jugglor_gallery.htm>

On this example page for FlashJesters Jugglor there's a file called
"MEGAMAILER".You can download the source too. The file calls a CGI script
with POST variables from within the standalone projector and the scripts
sends back variables wich tell the movie to go to a specific handler. This
thing works and that means that it posts variables to the script and gets
variables from the script. If this works than the other file has to work to,
doesn't it?

These kind of client-side/server-side combinations are really great and I
think they really enhance the usually non-dynamic standalone apps.

Best regards,

Andries van der Leij

on 11/28/00 6:50 PM, Jennifer Harvey at JHarveyatifmc [dot] org wrote:

> I apologize if your question has already been addressed on the list. I'm on
> digest mode, so receive postings later than other subscribers.
>
> You can't use a cgi script with a stand-alone player. The only way the cgi
> works is if it is called from the server through a browser. Sorry.
>
> Thanks!
> ô¿ô

Hello all,

I'm building a Christmas greeting projector for a company in the
Netherlands. I've been experimenting with standalone flash projectors for
some time now and I think that they are really great. I use Flashjester
Jugglor to get rid of the menu's and borders and create small presentations
and brochures.

This time It will be a "christmascard": a greeting from the staff to their
employees and maybe a small game or an animation. The employees receive the
..exe in their mailbox and can open it whenever they want. I also want to
give the employees the oppertunity to give everyone their own christmas
greeting from within their card.

I downloaded the guestbook from Matthias Kannengiesser on the Flashkit site
and this is perfect for what I have in mind. I
uploaded the cgi script and the txt file to my server and it all works
perfect....in a browser. When I trie it using the standalone flash player or
an .exe I get an "error opening..." alert.

I've worked with the load variables from an .exe before (with plain txt
files and asp) but I can't get it to work with this .cgi script. I don't
know anything about cgi/perl and I simply don't know where to start. Do you
know what might be the problem?

The movie from flashkit is here:

<http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Applications/Guestboo-Matthias-258/index.sht
ml>

I would be very glad if someone could help me out.

Thank you very much in advance,

Andries van der Leij

Register before November 10 and save £200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com