Subject: Re: FLASH: Sound Doubles Movie Size...Help!
From: David Gary
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:44:10 +0100

Christopher Gray wrote:

> I am doing really nice animation, right? I don't want to cut back on the
> gradients or the drawing style or - anything visual for that matter. My
> weakness is sound FX and music. No...I can record great sounds, music
> loops, and fun voice overs, but when I import them into my movies the
> movies are at least DOUBLED in size. I'm frustrated and need help,
> Flash-friends...
> If it takes buying good Sound software, please advise as to what software
> that may be. I work off of a Macintosh G3, a cable modem and tons of
> memory. Somebody help me.

Hiya Chris,

Sound size is nothing new to the web, wav format even in low bit can wipe
out any hope you have of keeping file size down.

A couple of things to remeber when adding sound to you swfs.

First of all dont cut back graphic work in Flash3, i.e. gradients, etc.
Vector graphics created in Flash3 are extremely small and usually will not
effect size that much.

Pay attention the the wav files themselves. Importing in good quality and
cutting down to the impth degree in your sound editor before import will
help. Also, I sometimes import all sound FX closely nit together in wav
format into flash. In flash you can scroll audio bar to play only part of the
sound off the one imported wav. IOW, one sound effect can be manipulated in
Flash to sound like several different sounds for buttons etc. The audio
scroll bar is in between the left and right channel indicators in Flash's
audio window. Play with this bar.

HTH,

-DG-