Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash3, Toy or serious designer tool?
From: David Gary
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:56:59 GMT

ed wrote:

> hmmm- wel i feel that most applications that try and be too much, too 'all
> purpose' end up watering down their real strengths.

Hiya Ed,

I see you point, but dont you think the more options the better? I mean look at
3D MAX and all the support from the plug-ins written for it. Thats exactly why
its
what IT is. I dont believe that ANY application can be too much. Extra options
only
add to the learning curve. Flash, being a "professional" developer's tool,
should abide
by how quickly one can learn it. I would lake interest in programs that are
designed
to be easy to learn if they lack the extra options and important tools for that
reason.

> I would far rather see
> macromedia put their efforts towards the real benefits to the user as far as
> professional use is concerned (download time, interaction with databases and
> the users environment etc..etc..) and that seems to be the way they are
> going.

They are going there and have been tremendously with Flash3. "Generator",
"Streaming Vector", "Load Movie", "Movie clips", and "tell target" come to mind.

However, the tools have remained somewhat the same. Its great for the new
Lamborgini to have added electronics, additional horsepower, etc, but if it
never
changes it's look or color, people really dont talk about it a whole lot.
Remember
FLash is a "Eye candy" creating program. The added "lingo-like" strengths are
outstanding and hats off to the boys at MM for that, but who was handling the
"tools"
dept.? Evidently they went to lunch alot. =8>)-

> Flash is still a tool just as any other application is, and at the end of
> the day it is always the idea that counts not the skill behind implementing
> it<snipped>

Kinda a "cliche", more than a good topic debate, dont ya think?I disagree. How
can you ever implement the idea without the tool?
Ideas are great and most of the time we never know what they're all about,
because
of limitations in the tool.

> (although there are plenty of 'hats-off occasions about - i do admit')
> If you wanted to create a comlpex gradient or chrome effect then
> applications like Corel Xara will do all the Photoshop type effects within a
> vector environment and illustrator 8 now has some sort of mesh-gradient
> thing i belive. If anything should be done to the flash drawing tools it
> should be to improve their general useablity maybe more in line with other
> packages that deal heavily in vector (freehand, illustrator and even
> fireworks i guess)

Well, I agree that if MM doesnt plan on updating their tools in Flash4 then
I would hope that they would create their other programs to support it.
But that would just add to another application on my task bar and another
3 to 5 hundred bucks outa my pocket. Why direct energy working on other
programs to support the program of topic? Why not direct that energy
to the program itself. I could even see a good WYSIWYG implemented in FLash
and throw out AfterShock. Of course I think we know this part of the discussion
is all about mucho.

BTW, the implement of vector gradients from programs
like freehand and illustrator, turn out with awful results in FLash3 and dont
really
do anything different than a "lossless" bmp to the file size.

> It does all ways seems unfair in having to get a whole suite of tools rather
> tan one great big super-tool but then thats nearly allways the way if you
> use the best-man-for-the-job method of working. As far as you question
> goes - toy or serious designer tool? -then I think that should be referring
> more to the workman not his tools. Just look at all the fantastic work thats
> been developed using Director - have you ever used the drawing tools in
> that?

Director, drawing tools, what drawing tools?<g> I dont wont to get into
Dir, unless we're talking CD-rom development. I still dont see any good use
of it on the web and I certainly havent seen large companies using it on their
websites. The games created with it for the web are weak.(IMO) and I would much
rather pop a CD-rom into my puter to play any games. Flash on the other hand is
much
more noticeable when it comes to efficient interface, animated "layouts" and
time waiting for it, therefore tends to draw companies attention for use.This is
in turn brings professional artists and developers out of the woodwork.

The bottom line is: The caveman being a better artist than I, is limited in
creating
his "vision" with his hollow stick and grinded pigment, than I with my Paashe AB
turbo, no matter how many other cavemen see it.

-DG-