Subject: Re: AW: FLASH: Is internet design with Flash possible? ;-)
From: Bob Schmidt
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 22:43:43 GMT

Robert,

>But what is with the UNIX user? And what is with the MS-I-Explorer user they
>switch the security level high (no Flash work then)? What is with the search
>engines? They can't jump over a Flash interaction.

I recognize there may still be some cross-browser/cross-platform issues. As
far as I know, everyone is optimistically hopeful that these will be
resolved to the benefit of the Internet user. No guarantees of that though.
Even so, it is clear that millions, perhaps even a majority, of Internet
users will have easy access to this new medium. Clearly enough to justify
making an investment in it.

>Please come down! Flash - the new Jesus? :-)

And absolutely I would agree. There are bad movies, too.

Clearly there is a difference between amateur and professional efforts. But
we shouldn't judge the potential of, say the automobile, by the junkyard or
even the used car lot or rush hour.

I don't know anyone who is suggesting we champion the bad or even the
mediocre. We might want to champion the good and politely ignore the more
foolish efforts, however.