Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash3, Toy or serious designer tool?
From: David Gary
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:42:07 GMT

Jean Dukate wrote:

> Just curious as to how possible it would be to add 3D support into
> Flash? Utimately we are talking about some need of a rendering engine
> inside of Flash. And if so render to what? Render to bitmap or vector?

Vector of course.

> If Flash renders to bitmap like every other 3D app how would this be any
> better than just importing bitmaps from a 3D app to start with.

Vector of course.

> So what we really want is a render to vector.

Of course.

> But so far I have yet to find any 3D app that has a render to vector
> capability. Sure there are some programs that can simulate a simple
> extrusion by basically copying a
> shape over and over. But I haven't seen any application at all that can
> render a complex model into a shaded vector image. Has anyone else find
> such a program?

I think the need to shading and lighting values could be left to the
designer and the "fill" tool.

If Flash could support basic geometry and simple wire frame and convert to
"line",
this would surpass any web design tool to date, by a uge margin. I
personally didnt ask
for raytracing capabilities or even lighting effects. That can be left up to
the designer. Basic 3D wireframe support would do worlds of wonder however.
Of course if you animated any shape beside cubes and spheres, then we would
definetly need some type of "airbrush" gradient tool to define effective
lighting direction.
Forget high end 3D animation application, but simple 3D wireframe is
possible and the rendering can be done by the artist with vector or solid
gradient fill.

> Am I wrong that this technology to render a complex 3D model into vector
> just doesn't exist as of yet. If it doesn't exist then what are the
> realistic expectations of having 3D capabilities inside of Flash. Are
> Flash designers going to be happy if Flash only renders 3D objects to
> bitmap?

Forget bmp and web design. Flash is Vector and should remain vector for web.

However basic CAD calculation could easily implemented to calculate "line".
The only option for 3D in flash3 _IS_ to import bmp. I'm more interested in
Vector, but also "freedom" in vector, i.e. better tools, basic 3D or CAD
support, etc.

-DG-