Subject: Re: FLASH: FLASH 99% BAD
From: Meshach Weber
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:56:24 GMT

I think there are some good points there but the argument of "breaks web
fundamentals" is VERY weak. What does he think, the web is somehow fully
developed?! It's a ludicrous statement! This kind of logic would have kept
television black and white!

What about his comment, "... revert to presentation styles that resemble
television rather than interactive media" Is he insane?! That is EXACTLY
where the web is going! People (except us) don't sit in front of a computer
hour after hour transfixed like we do with TV because TV has been around
longer and contains DYNAMIC, ANIMATED content. Do you think a television
producer makes money by saying to himself we shouldn't animate here because
it would be "gratuitous animation"? What the hell does that mean anyway? No
he makes money by saying (within limits) "Since we can make things move, why
not make things move?" (I guess if I was using 1995 guidelines I would think
animation was un-necessary and possibly confusing as well.)

TV has honed itself over generations by breaking it's "fundamentals" and
that has made it the most powerful entertainment and information force in
the world. This is what we all want. We want people to watch our creations,
be entertained, educated and make a living in the process. We can't succeed
in this without entertaining people, keeping them transfixed not just
interested and catered to. I think Jakob Nielson IS stuck in 1995. The web
is no longer just a revved up book, no longer just a source of data; it is
the pathway to a whole new world of dynamic, animated, and interactive
content that entertains first and passes information second.

Whew! Glad I got that out!

Meshach Weber
Tele Edit
Director of Streaming and Interactive Media
Phone: +1-612-333-5480
Fax: +1-612-333-6927
mweberattele-edit [dot] com

Register before November 10 and save £200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com