Subject: Re: FLASH: FLASH 99% BAD
From: sam
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:44:32 GMT

Umm....it often takes ages for my stuff to get through on
flasheratchinwag [dot] com so I hope there are still people interested in this
thread by the time you all get it...although I am sure my thoughts will
probably get me slated.....here goes:

I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that flash is 99% bad. However,
Jakob Nielsen is very much talking about Flash from an HCI (Human Computer
Interaction) viewpoint and I have to in many ways agree with his findings. I
personally think that HCI is most important when information delivery and
learning are the objectives and in these areas the more in the way of clues
and familiarity you can provide the user with the better. That is by no
means to say that most HTML training sites etc. are of a high standard,
rather that they are based on a technology that, in my opinion, lends itself
better to this sort of thing. It is fast, can give immediate feedback, the
browser back button works etc. I think peoples' level of understanding
(computer literacy / familiarity) and the reason for producing the site are
serious considerations. Hence if you feel the goals you are trying to
achieve mean that people are going to be willing to download Flash 5 or
Shockwave 8 Player, then sit through 30 seconds of loading, 30 seconds of
eyecandy and so on before any information is presented, then cool use Flash
or Director Shockwave - if not maybe consider something else!? I like making
mashed up shit as much as the next person - check www.mustardpot.com (don't
care what you think!) but there is a time and a place!

Cheers for your ears,

sAMsKi.

= elektonika =
= just another nu-meeja company =
= www.elektonika.co.uk = = samatelektonika [dot] co [dot] uk = = www.mustardpot.com =

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: This message is confidential. You should not copy it or
disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information only
for the intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and
therefore Elektonika does not accept legal responsibility for the contents
of this
message. Any views or opinions presented are only those of the author and
not those of Elektonika. If this email has come to you in error please
delete it and
any attachments.

Register before November 10 and save £200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com