Subject: RE: FLASH: Smart Buttons?
From: Len Harrison
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:19:53 +0100

Thanks Dorian,

You correctly interpreted the objective. Your suggestion for implementing it
is pretty much what I was thinking would be necessary. So thanks for
confirming that. Does anyone have another approach? Unfortunately, it would
be a nightmare to implement this under my present design paradigm. Consider
this:

1) We have a set of glossary terms, say one per frame on Layer Terms. Each
frame is labeled according to term it defines: WBS, Model, Methodology, etc.
2) Where the term is used in context, we provide a link to the frame where
it is defined.
3) Definition frames have a back button that returns the learner to the
material they were working with before they went to look up the definition.
4) There are perhaps 20 definition frames per module.
5) There might be from 2 to 20 occasions to jump to and return from a
definition.
6) Content developers with minimal Flash skill may be involved in
development.
7) There are five or six separate pieces each containing five to twelve
modules.
8) Ideally a single glossary should be defined since terms are used across
modules and pieces.

Now the simplest way to do this is to set up a sequence of key frames on
Layer Terms with no gaps between them and then jump to them. If we use
instances of buttons, then we jump to the button instance instead and need
to define a naming convention and track that appropriately. Every time we
add a new call into the glossary, we need to add a new frame on all layers
of the glossary plus the keyframe we're calling and modify both the button
instance in the called keyframe and the instance of the symbol that called
it. Maybe that's not as bad as I thought when I started writing this, but
it's still far from ideal.

By comparison, we could do this in Javascript using a cookie. The button
action for the caller includes a script call which writes the name of the
"home" frame and (optionally) scene and movie to a cookie. Calling code
would look something like
"Javascript:'returnFrame("thisFrame","thisScene","thisMovie")'". After it
writes the cookie it goes to the appropriate definition frame. When the user
presses the back button another javascript is called which reads the cookie
and returns from whence it came. That takes care of the simple case. If
there is only the back button available within the glossary that's all you
have to do.

Otherwise you might need to track movement within the glossary which could
get a bit complicated. Quick solution would be to build a stack with
numbered cookies plus a stack counter cookie. Every time you go back you
decrement the stack counter and delete the cookie which points to the
current frame. Every time you go forward you increment the counter and add a
cookie for the last frame visited.

This is a bit of upfront work and demands the user enable cookies (which I
can do within this context), but once you have the routines, invoking them
is trivial and there is no need to keep adding frames inside your glossary
terms every time you want to point the user to a definition.

***PERSONAL WISH LIST FOR FLASH 4.0 ITEM #1***
Some kind of real scripting language ala Lingo, Java, Javascript, VBscript,
etc.
***PERSONAL WISH LIST FOR FLASH 4.0 ITEM #2***
Objects with behaviors at a class, not just an instance level
***PERSONAL WISH LIST FOR FLASH 4.0 ITEM #3***
"Variable" added to goto list (i.e. Goto Frame whose value is "Variable"
where provisions are made to define the value of any given variable in any
given frame.)

Where is the best place to submit such suggestions?

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com